13 Mar Caring For Your Baby’s Teeth
Having recently become a mum to Ronan, I can appreciate it is not always easy to brush his teeth.
Here are some top tips to help any parents out there.
- Use a smear of fluoride toothpaste, containing no more than 1000ppm of fluoride (first tooth to 3yrs old).
- Use a small headed, age appropriate, toothbrush. I like the ones with a wide handle so the baby can grip it better. Change every 3 months.
- Try and brush their teeth twice a day. The best times to do this, is after the morning milk feed, or if they are older, after breakfast. Then in the evening, it is important to do this after the milk feed, before bed. This is to prevent milk sitting on the tooth surface during the night as this can lead to tooth decay.
- If your baby does not let you brush their teeth, try rubbing a smear of toothpaste onto their teeth and then giving them the brush to chew.
- Ronan likes watching me brush my teeth, so I brush mine then let him brush his.
- Make up a song about brushing teeth to make it more fun.
Other ways to help keep your baby’s teeth healthy are:
- Offer water and avoid giving juice.
- Give healthy snacks, these may include vegetable sticks, hummus, oatcakes with cheese etc
- Visit the dentist regularly every 6 months. It is always good to get your child used to meeting the dentist and dental team.
For more information on maintaining healthy teeth for your baby, or to make an appointment contact Stafford Street Dental on 0131 225 7576.