03 Dec Assembly at Fettes
I was privileged to be invited by the matron Mrs. Scott to take part in the morning assembly at Fettes Preparatory School on the 14th of November 2013. As I arrived, I was surprised and very impressed to see the Headmaster greeting every single pupil as they arrived in the morning. The warm welcome continued as Mrs Scott kindly provided some good coffee in the staff room.
The aim of my talk was to advise the children on how they can have a lovely healthy smile for the rest of their lives. My presentation was illustrated with pictures of what happens if you do not follow the advice. It’s so important to highlight these key messages, good habits start early. Key messages from the presentation were:
- Brush your teeth!
- Don’t eat sweets and sugary snacks!
- Don’t drink fizzy and fruity drinks!
- Wear your mouthguard!
At the end of the presentation, I was delighted to have some great questions asked such as:
- How do you fix bad teeth? Answer – as minimally as possible, but it’s even better not to get any cavities in the first place
- What can you drink? Answer – water, milk, tea, coffee… Water is the most hydrating drink there is!
- Why did you want to be a dentist? Answer – because I didn’t want to work in an office or be a teacher!
I enjoyed the beautiful singing, exciting sports reports, then afterwards meeting all the pupils who are patients at the practice. It was a great visit.